Earlier this week, Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada (IRCC) confirmed the details of the opening of the 2020 intake window for the Parents and Grandparents Program (PGP).
Canada’s PGP 2020 intake window is open between October 13, 2020 at 12:00 PM EDT and November 3, 2020 at 12:00 PM EDT. Complete CanadaVisa’s free tool to see…
The 2020 PGP will be open between October 13 at 12 PM EDT and November 3 at 12 PM EDT. During this period, Canadian citizens and permanent residents will be able to submit interest to sponsor forms on IRCC’s website.
IRCC will then randomly select potential sponsors and invite them to submit an application.
IRCC will accept up to 10,000 applications for the 2020 PGP. It announced it will open another intake period in 2021 and will accept up to 30,000 applications next year.
If IRCC invites you after November 3rd, you will have 60 days to submit your completed sponsorship application.
What is the eligibility criteria for the Parents and Grandparents Program 2020?
In order to be eligible for the 2020 PGP, sponsors need to:
- Be Canadian citizens, permanent residents, or a registered Indian under the Canadian Indian Act;
- Be at least 18 years old;
- Reside in Canada;
- Exceed the minimum necessary income level
- Sign an undertaking:
- to financially support the sponsored family members for 20 years
- to repay any social assistance paid to the sponsored family members for 20 years
- If the sponsor resides in Quebec, you need to sign an additional undertaking with Quebec.
Sponsors need to prove they meet the income requirements by submitting Canada Revenue Agency (CRA) notices of assessment. If you live in a province or territory outside of Quebec, you need to show your income from the past 3 tax years, but the requirement is for only 1 year if you live in Quebec.
You can also have your spouse or common-law partner as a co-signer to help you meet the income requirement however they must also meet the eligibility criteria and adhere to the 20-year undertaking period.
The purpose of the undertaking is to ensure you can financially provide for the sponsored family members.
How do I calculate my family size for the Parents and Grandparents Program 2020?
Family size is the number of people you will be financially responsible for.
To calculate your family size, please count:
- your spouse or common-law partner
- your dependent children (only include children under 22 years old and not married or in a common-law relationship)
- only include young children beginning the year they were born
- your spouse or partner’s dependent children
- any family memebers you and your co-signer (if applicable) previously sponsored and for whom you are still financially responsible
- parents and grandparents you want to sponsor and their dependants
- Dependent children who will not come to Canada with your parents or grandparents
- Your parents or grandparent’s spouse or partner even if they will not come to Canada
- Your parents or grandparents’ separated spouse
How can I apply?
Step 1: Ensure you meet the eligibility criteria.
Step 2: Complete an interest to sponsor form on IRCC’s website between October 13 and November 3.
Step 3: Wait to see if you are among the 10,000 applications randomly drawn by IRCC.
Step 4: Submit a completed sponsorship application to IRCC within 60 days.
© 2020 CIC News All Rights Reserved